[DRMAA-WG] DRMAA survey - results

Peter Tröger peter at troeger.eu
Tue Jul 29 09:53:48 CDT 2008

Dear all,

for today's survey result discussion, here is the latest status. We only got
a few more answers since the last time. Nothing changed dramatically. Here
is my own short summary:

In sum, we got 27 answers. Some of them were incomplete.

We have an equal number of answers from DRMAA implementers and DRMAA users.

The major of people does not see a lack features or documentation preventing
the usage of DRMAA in it's current version.

TOP3 of DRMAA implementations:
1. Sun Grid Engine
2. Condor
3. LSF library (FedStage)

TOP3 of DRMAA language bindings:
1. Python
2. Java
3. C

We have balanced voting (important / not important) for most of the specific
feature questions.

More possible placeholders in job template attributes (issue 2837) are
favored by a majority of people.

The opinions about JSDL support are also balanced. Nobody wants JSDL and
classic job templates both as mandatory parts of the spec.

Finer-grained or fewer job states are rejected at all. Some people would
like to see an extensible job state model as in OGSA-BES.

Some specific issues are declared as important by most participants:
More possible placeholders in job templates, monitoring of DRM resources,
fetching the list of jobs running in the current session, persistent
sessions, and job workflows.

Backward compatibility is demanded by a small majority of people.

Best regards,