[DRMAA-WG] DRMAA4Ruby: Status and plans?

Mon Jul 7 03:25:15 CDT 2008

Hi Mark,

On Fri, 4 Jul 2008, Mark V wrote:

> On Fri, Jul 4, 2008 at 6:58 PM,  <Andreas.Haas at sun.com> wrote:
>> Hi Mark,
>>
>> On Fri, 4 Jul 2008, Mark V wrote:
>>
>>> Hi Devs,
>>> Just a quick enquiry to findout what the status of this library is:
>>> - Is it actively being developed/maintained?
>>

> Hi Andreas,
>
> Thanks for the prompt response.
>
>> yes, surely. Just let drmaa4ruby.sunsource.net know if you got any question
>> or contribution.
>>
>>> - Does it currently work with Condor 7.0.x series?
>>
>> As of now I don't know about use on top of Condor DRMAA, but I can confirm
>> it is used with PBS/Torque DRMAA. As for premises and possible limitations
>> with Condor DRMAA the corresponding DRMAA Implementation Experience Report
>> could be of use for you
>>
>>   http://www.ogf.org/documents/GFD.103.pdf
>>

> Thanks I will read that this coming weekend.
>
>>> Looking forward:
>>> - Any plans to distribute a gem via rubyforge?
>>
>> There is no plan from my side to work on this, but if someone would do so,
>> he/she can count on my blessing.
>
> OK, I'll put my hand up, but this might take a week or two to get to this.
>
>> I can also imagine other community members would join such an effort, but I
>> can of course not speak for them.
>>

> A ruby gem would ease, if not increase, the uptake..... which make me
> wonder just how many people are using this library?

this question is hard to answer. Under

     http://www.drmaa.net/w/DrmaaUsers

we (i.e. the DRMAA OGF working group) were collecting use cases that are publicly
known. We could have expand the the list, but somehow nobody did. Actually I know
about a couple of other prominent companies of Sun customers who are using it,
but I'm not authorized to disclose.

> With Amazon's EC2 growing in popularity I'd expect usage to be
> expanding if it is not already high.

It will certainly expand. After all there is also a DRMAA implemntation for
LSF since end of 2007

     http://blogs.sun.com/templedf/entry/drmaa_for_platform_s_lsf

>>> - Any chance of hosting on github?
>>
>> I'm always open for good arguments, but for the few drmaa4ruby pieces I see
>> no real benefit of moving
>> to a new Version Control System.
>>

> OK, I'll have a better idea once I've internalized some of drmaa4ruby.
> Main advantage would be that quite a lot of ruby devs I see use git so
> it reduces one barrier to contribution.
> Whether it is github or something else is less important.
> Hopefully this would raise drmaa4ruby's profile :)

wouldn't already a gem on top of drmaa4ruby increase it's profile?
I mean there should be no reason not to keep the gem at github as
separate piece of SW. For ease of use kind of a drmaa4ruby + gem
distribution could still contain both pieces.

Regards,
Andreas

http://gridengine.info/

Amtsgericht Muenchen: HRB 161028