[DRMAA-WG] Torque/PBS DRMAA - drmaa_wi* POSIX equivalents II

Krzysztof Kurowski krzysztof.kurowski at man.poznan.pl
Fri May 11 09:51:01 CDT 2007

Hi Andre, All,

Andre Merzky pisze:
> Hi Andreas,
>
> Quoting [Andreas.Haas at Sun.COM] (May 08 2007):
>
>> Actually the idea of having kind of a general pupose state definition
>> framework model was discussed very, very early within DRMAA-WG. At that
>> point in time the workgroup decided not to pursue this and I think this
>> was good since I never heard such a request from the DRMAA user community.
>>

> Well, DRMAA was around much earlier than BES or SAGA or many
> other groups - so I'm certainly not saying you should have
> used this model :-)
>
> Also, you are right: don't fix it if it ain't broken...  If
> users are happy, than thats a good measurement for
> success...
>
> Cheers, Andre.

I do support Andre's comments... I think a state definition model in
next DRMAA specs
should be improved or at least discussed again to reflect some new
requirements
and also best practices and ideas taken from SAGA and BES.

I'd like to encourage you to check out the section 3.1.2. Job States we
proposed
in Open DRMAA Service Provider (OpenDSP) v1.0
http://downloads.sourceforge.net/opendsp/dsp-manual-1.0.tar.gz?modtime=1162140031&big_mirror=0

Actually, when we have been discussing next OpenDSP releases a new
question appeared:
how/when can we support BES 1.0? Hence, we are interested in the
convergence among DRMAA, SAGA
and BES discussions around state model as well as new routines for job
status change monitoring
such as transition into the PENDING and RUNNING states.

Thanks,
Chris