[DRMAA-WG] IDL spec - remaining issues

Peter Troeger peter.troeger at hpi.uni-potsdam.de
Tue Oct 17 09:33:39 CDT 2006

Dear all,

Dan and me finished the work on the latest IDL specification v0.38. It
is in sync with the pre-final Java spec v0.7 provided by Dan several
days ago.

The following issues are left open, and should be clarified by the group:

Sections 3.1 / 4.2 / 5 / 6 / 6.2:

Currently, the IDL spec borrows the notion of a service-provider
interface (SPI) from Java world. We are not sure if and how this concept
really fits to a language-independent, interface-oriented description.
We could also describe the intended distinction only informally, without
further influence on the document and interface layout.

Section 6.1:

Which exception should be thrown when non-available job status
information is queried (call of 'exitStatus' with 'exited=false')?

In general, do we really want to keep the POSIX-derived semantics for
the JobInfo interface ?

Section 6.2:

setAttribute() and getAttribute() are not needed in the IDL-based
specification of a JobTemplate interface. However, the reading and
writing of implementation-specific job template attributes then demands
introspection capabilities, in order to find the getter and setter
functions. Is this acceptable ?

Section 6.2.14 / 6.2.15:

Dan and Peter disagree if DRMAA 1.0 allows output and error parameters
in a job template to be a directory name, instead of a file name.

Section 6.3.14:

The IDL spec adopted the usage of comma-delimited string lists in some
parameters. We might want to switch to a list types instead.

We have also an open tracker specifically for the IDL spec:

https://forge.gridforum.org/sf/go/artf2826