[DRMAA-WG] Numeric time attributes in DRMAA IDL

Tue Nov 14 08:00:47 CST 2006

On Tue, 14 Nov 2006, Peter Troeger wrote:

> Hello,
>
> another topic for today's phone conference:
>
> Harald Böhme from HPI looked on the latest IDL spec. He asked why all
> "long long" values for time amounts (e.g. hardWallclockTimeLimit) are
> defined as signed parameters. Good question ...
>
> He also proposed to define a common custom typedef for such values,
> instead of declaring them directly as 64-Bit numbers.

Well, Harald you're right.

From POSIX one could use select(2) timeout parameter as model where
'struct timeval' is being used

    http://www.opengroup.org/onlinepubs/009695399/functions/select.html

with 'time_t' used as struct members. Use of 'struct timeval' as
datatype for hardWallclockTimeLimit I'd dare to rule out, as there
is probably no scheduler considering wall-clock time limits with
nano-second precision.

Regards,
Andreas