[drmaa-wg] PHP binding

Jose R Valverde txomsy at yahoo.es
Thu Mar 23 07:55:05 CST 2006

We are working in development of web based services
using PHP here. Our work relies mainly on using Grid
technology as the back end (we are on EGEE), but we
also have to develop for queueing systems.

As such, DRMAA is a natural choice to build our
applications. This leads me to the questions:

    - is there any PHP binding definition?
        After consulting the list archives I gather
the answer is "No".

    - is there anybody working on defining a DRMAA PHP
binding?
        Again, it seems that the answer is "No", but
I'd like to be sure.

     - is there anybody else besides me interested on
such a binding and willing to help define it?

And most important of all:

    - if the answers are all "No" as I expect, may I
start working on defining and implementing such a
binding myself?

Here is my idea: We already have a PHP class
implementing access to EGEE grid middleware --see

    http://savannah.cern.ch/project/gridgramm/

I'd like to build on top of it (or substitute it by) a
DRMAA binding. Later on we may consider creating PHP
bindings for other queueing systems (SGE, openPBS or
even Condor) and Grid implementations.

The binding might be functional (based on the C
binding) or object-oriented (based on the Java or IDL
bindings). That would be open for discussion.

Besides, we usually implement everything here as a web
service in the latest stages. It falls within our
plans to make the binding into a web service as well
(we already have some experience with asynchronous web
services implementations). It seems that might be
welcome, isn't it? But this, again, would be left for
a later stage, once we have the basic library
available.

Finally, pardon for the horrible formatting. I'm using
Yahoo's webmail as I'm off work and it shows.

Jose R. Valverde, PhD, MD, MSci
Head of Scientific Computing
EMBnet/CNB

LLama Gratis a cualquier PC del Mundo.