[drmaa-wg] drmaa_wait routne signature omission

Rajic, Hrabri hrabri.rajic at intel.com
Sat Mar 11 14:42:46 CST 2006

Hi,

I cannot remember, what was the person name who made a comment during
the DRMAA PR doc public review process that DRMAA doc is the most boring
document he has ever read.  Boring documents like DRMAA spec can make it
very difficult to spot obvious omissions, like the one that we have just
discovered.
To be more precise, drmaa_wait routine is missing a second, OUT job_id
parameter in its signature, even though the parameter is listed in the
parameter list description.

This is the first draft when the second job_id was introduced, doc
DRMAA-1.11.pdf:
-----
drmaa_wait(job_id, stat, timeout, rusage, drmaa_errno_buf)
IN job_id /* job identifier (string) or DRMAA_JOB_IDS_SESSION_ANY
(string) */
OUT job_id /* job identifier of termineted job (string) or NULL */
OUT stat /* status code of job (integer) */
IN timeout / * how long we block in this call (signed long) */
OUT rusage /* resource usage */
This routine waits for a job with job_id to fail or finish execution.
Passing a special string DRMAA_JOB_IDS_SESSION_ANY instead job_id waits
for any job. If such a job was successfully waited its job_id is
returned as a second parameter. This routine is modeled on wait3 POSIX
routine.
----------------------

which establishes that the group meant to change the routine signature.
Future revisions modified this text and dropped the second parameter
reference, but kept the separate job_id entry as an OUT parameter.  I am
also attaching the preceding version doc, file DRMAA-1.10.pdf.

The change was made in the C bindings document which was the basis for
the DRMAA implementations, so drama.h and the actual API have the right
signatures.

The DRMAA PR doc has been changed properly to incorporate job_id_out
parameter in response to Tracker 1040:
https://forge.gridforum.org/tracker/?func=detail&atid=507&aid=1400&group
_id=69

Regards