[drmaa-wg] XgridDRMAA overview

Andreas Haas Andreas.Haas at Sun.COM
Wed Jun 7 07:08:03 CDT 2006

Dear Ed,

while I agree on a technical level with you, I must say license
questions must be taken little bit more serious:

Releasing SISSL licensed code derivatives under Apache License for
sure is not allowed. The source components you refer below were
released under SISSL

   http://gridengine.sunsource.net/project/gridengine/Gridengine_SISSL_license.html

and there is a viable proceeding for contributing enhancements such as
yours, if required. Thus, for the time being, please let us assume any
change required for Xgrid DRMAA simply would be contributed back to Grid
Engine open source project.

My point is: Doing it this way possibly appears somewhat cumbersome,
but the Google SoC requirements can't disallow it. Just imagine you
would work on a project that requires (amongst other things) some
Linux kernel module be modified: I believe it is needless to say those
changes would not become available under Apache license, but under
GNU public license.

With regards to your question about the C-binding-detour: A C binding
for Xgrid as by-product certainly were very welcome as it would get Perl,
Python and Ruby bindings nearly for free. Wouldn't also the extend of
changes required to com.sun.grid.drmaa be minimal for similar reasons?

Best regards,
Andreas

Sun Microsystems GmbH       |            ++49 +941 3075-131
Dr.-Leo-Ritter-Str. 7       |                N1 Grid Engine
D-93049 Regensburg/Germany  | System Engineering Group Lead