[drmaa-wg] [Xgrid] Proposal: Parallel Parameter Sweeps on Grids (fwd)

Andreas Haas Andreas.Haas at Sun.COM
Tue Apr 25 05:10:12 CDT 2006

FYI:

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Tue, 25 Apr 2006 02:21:32 -0700
From: Ed Baskerville <lists at edbaskerville.com>
To: xgrid-users at lists.apple.com
Subject: [Xgrid] Proposal: Parallel Parameter Sweeps on Grids

Hello everyone,

I'm planning to submit a proposal to Google's Summer of Code to build
a system for running parameter sweeps of computer models on grids. I
built something like this for the Xgrid Technology Preview, but never
updated it. I'm now trying to build something that will integrate
with Xgrid as well as other grid systems (Grid Engine, etc.).

This project is mostly targeted at the agent-based modeling
community, but I'm sure there are people on this list with other
kinds of models where searching a parameter space is relevant.

Furthermore, rather than implementing this directly with multiple
grid system APIs, I'm planning to write it once, in DRMAA. To get it
to work with Xgrid, then, I'm going to also have to write that DRMAA-
Xgrid interface layer we were talking about not too long ago. That
piece, I imagine, will be useful to many more of you.

In order to put together the best proposal I can, and in order to
jumpstart community involvement, I've posted a draft outline on my
new software development blog in the hopes of getting feedback from
anyone here that's interested:

http://code.edbaskerville.com/2006/04/25/gridsweeper-proposal/

If you have any thoughts about this project, please leave them in the
comments section on the blog post. If I get the funding, I imagine
we'll have plenty of discussions on this list about the DRMAA-Xgrid
interface. I hope this will be useful to a lot of people.

Thanks in advance,
Ed