[drmaa-wg] DRMAA test case for malicous job template input parameter

Rajic, Hrabri hrabri.rajic at intel.com
Fri Sep 30 11:01:00 CDT 2005

We are in the gray area I would say.

A test code could reflect that.

DRMAA state diagram has a valuator stage that could reject a job like it
happened here for Condor.

Sometimes these discrepancies happen due to quality of DRMAA
implementation, sometimes due to DRM architecture.  This is inevitable
and we have agreed to have some latitude in the spec to reflect the
realities in the marketplace.

Regards

	Hrabri

Of
>Andreas Haas
>Sent: Friday, September 30, 2005 10:48 AM
>To: Peter Troeger
>Cc: DRMAA Working Group
>Subject: Re: [drmaa-wg] DRMAA test case for malicous job template input
>parameter
>
>Hi Peter,
>
>On Fri, 30 Sep 2005, Peter Troeger wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> the SGE DRMAA test suite has a set of three tests for checking the
>> behavior in case of incorrect job template settings for the input,
>> output, or error file path. The following text is the description of
>> the test case:
>>
>>        /* - drmaa_init() is called
>>           - a job is submitted with input/output/error path
>> specification
>>             that must cause the job to fail
>>           - use drmaa_synchronize() to ensure job was started
>>           - drmaa_job_ps() must return DRMAA_PS_FAILED
>>           - drmaa_wait() must report drmaa_wifaborted() -> true
>>           - then drmaa_exit() is called */
>>
>> The funny thing is that the test case expects the (wrong) template to
>> be accepted by drmaa_run_job(), and then expects that the job status
>> changes to FAILED.
>
>This is due to sentences such as
>
>  "If set, and the file can't be read, the job enters the state
>   DRMAA_PS_FAILED. The attribute name is drmaa_input_path."
>
>in DRMAA spec.
>
>> The Condor implementation rejects the job template
>> at submission time with DRMAA_ERRNO_DENIED_BY_DRM, which is in my
>> opinion the right approach according to the spec.
>
>Possibly with the Condor implementation a "drmaa_transfer_files"
setting
>"ioe" is in effect by default. This would imply these files are located
>at the submit machine. At least this would be an explaination how
Condor