[GE users] Re: [drmaa-wg] Re: [GE users] python DRMAA module

Tim Harsch harsch1 at llnl.gov
Fri Oct 28 11:53:36 CDT 2005

Rayson et al,
    When I created the SWIG file for the Perl module ( Schedule::DRMAAc ) I
started off with keeping it generic in mind.  The idea being one SWIG file
would create bindings for any of the SWIG supported languages.  I quickly
learned its not quite that simple.  It's still possible, its just that
tricky functions you need to get language specifc.  So you define the
function once of Perl, then again for Python, etc.
    Then also, there is the language support stuff that should be included
with the module distro...   like the required wrapper.

    Given all that, I think Enrico took the right approach by starting with
my swig file and then altering it to work with Python.  I hope in the future
someone will try it for the other languages like Ruby.   Or if we're lucky
we'll get a Chicken binding ;-)