[drmaa-wg] Events

Mon Jan 24 08:48:49 CST 2005

The reason I started wondering about concurrent calls to drmaa_wait() is
that Peter and I have been discussing what it would take to add an event
mechanism to the OO spec.  Given that OO languages are generally
inherently multi-threaded, any developer could write his own event
mechanism by adding a thread that does the following:

while (true) {
    JobInfo info = Session.wait (JOB_IDS_SESSION_ANY,
                                 TIMEOUT_WAIT_FOREVER);
    JobEvent e = new JobFinishedEvent (info);
    fireJobEvent (e);
}

Clients could then register for events.  (This, BTW, functions without a
race condition.)  The question is why developers should have to
implement that themselves when we could easily add it to the OO spec.

Let's not fight over who gets to be the first to explain why we can't do
this! ;)