[drmaa-wg] C Binding Spec 0.98 and GWD-I Doc

Fri Feb 18 08:05:16 CST 2005

Per my conversation my Andeas last night, I have removed the new job
info structure and the DRMAA_PS_USER_SYSTEM_SUSPENDED constant from the
C binding spec, as they are not allowed by the language independent
spec.  I also made the changes suggested by Hrabri and Peter.  This is
the new 0.98 spec.  This will likely be the 1.0 spec, mostly since there
isn't anymore time to argue about it.  Hrabri, if there are no other
issues with the 0.98 spec, please relabel it 1.0 and submit it for GGF13.

(The 0.98 spec does contain all the other changes that were in the 0.97
spec.  This is because none of the other changes attempt to change the
sematics of the lang ind spec.  Something that may be a problem is that
the error codes listed in the 0.98 version go way beyond what was listed
in the lang ind spec.  If that is an issue, Hrabri, just delete them
before submitting the doc as 1.0.)

Also per my conversation with Andreas, I used the 0.97 spec to build an
Experiences document which contains our desire to have the two things I
took out of the 0.98 spec.

Since we have no time to discuss this, I have simply done it.  I have to
wonder, however, how it is possible for the OO, .Net, and Java language
bindings to use a job info struture (the JobInfo class), but the C
binding isn't allowed to.  Before anyone gets any clever ideas, let me
point out that the reason the Java language binding uses a job info
structure is that Java does not allow multiple out parameters.  If we
disallow job info structures in the binding docs, we disallow the Java
language binding altogether.