[drmaa-wg] Jini+DRMAA integration plus Condor problem

Zoltan Juhasz juhasz at irt.vein.hu
Wed Nov 24 06:36:53 CST 2004

To the members of the DRMAA list for information.

We have developed a Jini wrapper service to interface/integrate legacy
batch runtime environments into Jini service communities (specifically
into our JGrid service grid - more info at
http://pds.irt.vein.hu/jgrid). Our first implementation of this service
uses the Sun Grid Engine and its Java DRMAA API in the backend. The
service supports input and output file staging, so remote user can
upload files, execute commands/programs and save the results more or
less transparently. The service is under testing but basically it works
very nicely.

We are also creating a version with a backend interface to the Condor
system. This is where we have a problem and perhaps some of you can help
us out. Since Condor only provides a C implementation of the DRMAA spec
we our creating a new Java/JNI JDRMAA version based on the SGE one. The
first real problem we have is that Condor does not support the mandatory
Working Directory attribute and at the moment I cannot see how one can
programmatically submit jobs to Condor without this. Where should users
put their executables? Will all go to a system-wide submit directory?
There may be a simple answer to this, so excuse me if I just miss some
information or don't understand how Condor uses the file system for
this.

Any help is appreciated.

Zoltan

Zoltan Juhasz