[DR-RG] DR-RG at DCC (past) and OGF28 (planned)

Andreas Aschenbrenner aschenbrenner at sub.uni-goettingen.de
Fri Dec 11 06:21:35 CST 2009

Dear members of the Digital Repositories RG,

we had a good workshop of the DR-RG at the recent Digital Curation
Conference (http://www.dcc.ac.uk/events/dcc-2009/). As always, the
burning issues in the curation community are often on organisation and
context (they consider technology transient and resolvable).

Moving on to the next event: OGF28, Munich. The deadline for session
proposals is approaching (Dec 15). Please find below some quick
suggestions for a session outline - we have time until the workshop to
refine these. None of the suggested speakers have been contacted yet,
this brainstorming is really waiting for your input. (Please do send
your suggestions to Nick Ferguson, who has agreed to take the lead in
organising this workshop.)

best wishes,
aA

-- Duration
Attendance at previous OGF conferences has decreased considerably.
Anyway, we could plan for a whole morning/afternoon and submit two
sessions: 2 x 90mins. If attendance turns out to be really low at OGF
Munich as well, we can always skip one session.

e.g.
  9:00-10:30 - Session 1
10:30-11:00 - Break
11:00-12:30 - Session 2
12:30-13:30 - Lunch

-- Session Outline

Title:
Repository Federations - Virtualising Distributed Knowledge Networks

Abstract:
The Digital Repository Research Group (OGF DR-RG,
http://www.ogf.org/gf/group_info/view.php?group=dr-rg) conducts a series
of activities aiming to span the grid, the curation, as well as the
repository communities. After a number of events at OGF, IEEE and other
conferences, the latest workshop took place at the Digital Curation
Conference (http://www.wissgrid.de/publikationen/ext-ws/reprise_en.html).

Following the two focus areas of the DR-RG, the workshop aims to look at
both:
1. embedding repositories into community contexts (e.g. metadata,
scientific workflows)
2. evolving the architecture of grid-based repositories and repository
federations

1. The success of existing repositories is deeply linked to how
repository services link into the application context and, essentially,
community uptake. Like a (generic) database and (application-specific)
database schemas and applications, repositories have generic
infrastructure services and application-specific data models and
services. This session looks at successful models for repository-based
infrastructure projects and specifically at the interface of
application-specific services and community-specific workflows.

* Adil Hasan (Dresnet)
* Chris Awre
(http://www.fedora-commons.org/confluence/display/FCCWG/Scholars+Workbench)
* Harry Enke (AstroGrid)
* Wolfgang Gentzsch (Deisa)

2. Distributed repositories have successfully formed repository
federations in various contexts. These federations are often building on
the protocols offered by the Open Archives Initiative, as well as the
results from the Linked Data movement. This session aims to learn from
their experiences and architectural models.

* Europeana (Stefan Gradmann), alternatively Driver and Dare
* Adonis (Yannick Maignien)
* OAI-ORE (http://eprints.ecs.soton.ac.uk/17744/)
* Jens Klump

Please note, that we did not mention DR-RG reports at this point of
time. We may introduce a dedicated presentation into the workshop, but
we need to see how the work of DR-RG develops until the conference.