AW: [dmis-bof] Comments on the charter?

Peter Kunszt Peter.Kunszt at cern.ch
Thu Dec 22 15:18:55 CST 2005

hi ian,

i fully agree with the aims for DMI. of course you need a unique ID for the transfers
by which you can refer to them from the client side. and all the rest. but for defining how to do all this,
i questioned the relevance of WSRF or WS-I. i said that we should try to
define the interface without going into the rendering.

to this bill replied that we have to fix that 'detail' already before we start otherwise interoperability
is not guaranteed. and he may be right. at least this is what i understood,
so please correct me if i missed the point.

to answer your question: what my concern is that at least
to someone like myself who only follows the development of WSRF
sporadically, it is not clear to what extent we'll have to delve into detailed modifications
of our current services if we are to do it using WSRF. to be honest, we didn't have the time to
gather the necessary experience. so it's your basic 'fear of all that is new'.  it's hard
for us to estimate the amount of work involved, and resources are scarce (getting
worse not better) while the timelines given for completion of the services are over-ambitious. so
if you want interoperability with EGEE within say the next 6-12 months, there are not many
options... it's really not the lack of willingness but simply the lack of means and of time.

so that's all there is to it, no political or religious reasons whatsoever. anyway, i will hand over the
'defense of the EGEE viewpoint' to others in the new year as i'll move to a new position
at the swiss supercomputing center near Lugano (see cscs.ch). i'll be responsible for the swiss national
grid programme. so i'll certainly be still quite involved, but you may hear very different
concerns from me in the near future :-)

best regards to sunny australia,
have a great holiday and i wish you a happy new year

peter

(i'll be out of email contact until jan.9th)

--
CERN IT-Grid Middleware