[dmis-bof] Comments on the charter?

Peter Kunszt Peter.Kunszt at cern.ch
Wed Dec 14 11:06:13 CST 2005

hi bill,

> > i don't like that. having my EGEE hat on, please consider that we
> > cannot adapt and use OGSA in any of the near future (next year) as
> > everything is set up for production pretty much now. there
> is no time
> > for us to migrate to OGSA quickly and to deploy and use it.
> there are
> > lots of question marks concerning especially the security
> > infrastructure and how that will interoperate with classical
> > transport-level security.
> >
> > so to recap: we would very much appreciate a pure WS-I interface
> > standardization first, where we can talk cleanly about
> interfaces and
> > semantics and we would not clog our discussions about which
> semantics
> > of WSRF should be applied to what. we could focus on the transfer
> > specs. then someone can take the spec and 'ogsafy' it.
> > so please consider to keep this just as DMIS-WG. (sorry hiro
> > - i have to be pragmatic here)
>
> As I said in the BOF, I suspected this was going to be the
> major issue.  You have FTS which is pure WS-I and we have RFT
> which is WSRF.  Hiro suggested that we do a functional spec,
> then have two (or more) operational specs, one to WS-I, one
> to WSRF.  I believe this is what SRM has done, also.
> However, that doesn't really solve the interoperability
> problem.  I think we could probably agree on the submission
> format, but if we don't implement all the operations to poll
> for state that you want, your clients wont work with our
> service and if you don't implement the RPs that we want, then
> our clients wont work with your services.

ok, i agree. to have a functional spec decoupled from the operational
one is exactly what we do in gsm-wg as well. works very well,
we also have WSRF rendering of SRM.

> > >  - we need to address naming.  What will we accept as source and
> > > destination names? URLs? URIs? any string? EPRs?
> >
> > URL seems like a good choice, this would probably suit all
> use cases.
> > this is what we use in the GSM-WG. we have storage URLs.
> > an EPR is nothing more than a decorated URL so a simple URL
> would suit
> > that too.
>
> URLs work fine for files, and I *suspect* it will be what we
> use for V1.0, but if we take our file blinders off and try
> and think about source other than files, i.e. a service that
> is virtualizing some non-file data source, we might want
> EPRs.  This is related to the next issue.

well, if you take rich URLs, you can get away with anything.
?query=...

:-)

> > >  - There is a general issue which will affect a lot of
> this and that
> > > is just extensible WSDL.  How do we allow parameters to
> change when
> > > options in the WSDL change.
> >
> > the pragmatic approach is to increase the minor version number for
> > compatible changes and the major one for incompatible changes.
> > however, there are alternatives that we have investigated
> also in the
> > GSM-WG: it is possible to leave an extensibility hook in
> the WSDL, so
> > that new functionality can be tried on existing services,
> before it is
> > migrated into the mainstream WSDL. this is a good idea also for
> > interoperating between versions.
>
> Are you suggesting that we simply keep growing the WSDL with
> optional blocks, one for every variant of any option?  Here
> is my concern.  We want this to be transport agnostic.  That
> means it should be able to support GridFTP, HTTP, bbftp,
> bbcp, scp, etc, and GridFTP at least, could run over TCP or
> UDT and we hope to be adding others.  If I understand what
> you are suggesting then the WSDL would have a different,
> optional block for every one of those options.  I guess that
> is an option, but the WSDL will get huge and I wonder what
> kind of problems might be caused by this thing growing out of control.
>
> I would be interested in more of a description of the
> extensibility hook you mentioned.  I don't know if WSDL can
> support this or not, but what I would like to see would be
> some method of querying the service for options it supports.
> You might get back something that looks like this:
>
> <Transports_Supported>
>   <Transport>GridFTP-TCP</Transport>
>   <Transport>GridFTP-UDT</Transport>
>   <Transport>HTTP-TCP</Transport>
>   <Transport>bbftp</Transport>
>   <Transport>bbcp</Transport>
>   <Transport>scp</Transport>
> </Transports_Suppported>
>
> Then in the WSDL there is a <Transport_Chosen> tag, which
> would contain one of the above choices, and based on that, it
> could selectively load and validate against the appropriate
> schema.  The nice thing about this is, a site can deploy its
> own custom baked transport (or anything else) without causing
> the "standard WSDL" to fail validation.
>
> I guess now that I think about it, your way works too.  As
> long as the query mechanism is there, as long as you don't
> send a block the site doesn't support, you wont fail
> validation... I don't like it, but unless we discover a
> bigger problem than that, I guess it is an option :-).

the trick is easy. you put in an element that you don't define.
you then extend it and play around the way you like it, and once
you know what you want, you just take it into your mainstream
WSDL as a proper part of it. see our discussion/example in
https://uimon.cern.ch/twiki/bin/view/SRMDev/XmlSolution

> > >  - I think we all agree that this needs to be transport agnostic,
> > > but we need to figure out how best to implement that
> (related to the
> > > WSDL question)
> >
> > unless i'm mistaken, doc/literal should just do the trick..?
>
> Yes, if we support the "WSDL with every possible option it" approach.

yes.. well, WSRF does that to WSDL too ;-)

> > >  - what statement do we want to make (and does the OGSA data
> > > architecture
> > > need) about delivery semantics
> >
> > i think we need to make as detailed statements as
> possible/reasonable!
> > we need to define what states the transfer service exposes to the
> > client and what failure modes the client has to expect.
>
> I agree, I phrased the question wrong.  It should have been
> "what delivery semantics do we want to support".  I.e., do we
> want at least once, exactly once, at most once, non-repudiation, etc..

i still don't understand, sorry. delivery once? ... is it about what
guarantee you intend to take that the delivery actually happened?
i.e. retry semantics, post-transfer checks (checksumming)?
that is part of it, yes. probably optional?

> > >  - what about scheduling / planning aspects?  Do we want
> to include
> > > elements in this WSDL that specify rate (bandwidth),
> quantity (file
> > > size), and timing (START BY, FINISH BY, etc)
> >
> > our experience: individually for each transfer job: no.
> that is very
> > complicated and of questionable use.
> > on the scale of the service itself as a service
> > parameter/configuration: yes.
>
> I half agree with you.  Clearly the service, may want to have
> limits that can be set.  In that regard, it is acting as a
> resource manager and protecting the resource for which it is
> responsible, much like a compute scheduler.  Btw, I would
> argue that this is outside the scope of this working group,
> since an external entity has no need to be involved with
> that.  At most we might want to agree on some state that such
> a service MAY (in the SPEC sense of the word) expose.
>
> However, it is not clear to me that requests per job are of
> questionable use.  Clearly they should be optional elements,
> but if the submission has no such information, on what basis
> does the service make decisions when it has a resource
> constraint?  I would also add priority to the list.  If I
> have multiple jobs submitted, I may want to make sure that
> one of them gets service over the others.

ok, i was sloppy. it is true that you should be able to influence
the priority of your transfers and maybe even their speed/bandwidth
within your allocated 'quota'.

> > >  - everybody's favorite: security.  I hope we can
> basically punt on
> > > this and say we will do whatever OGSA does
> >
> > well.. please see
> > http://www.globus.org/toolkit/docs/4.0/security/GT4-GSI-Overview.pdf
> >
> > and the discussion here on transport and message-level security.
> > GT4 currently supports both in parallel.
> >
> > together with my comment on top, i think for this essential
> service we
> > need to at least task the OGSA security group to give us a
> clear path
> > of how both can interoperate and what are the migration paths.
> > this is highly nontrivial and until it is not given, it will not be
> > practical for us to talk about message-level security at
> all. we don't
> > have the effort available to do what GT4 did and to run both
> > everywhere.
>
> Ok.  I am guilty here of apparently not knowing all the
> implications of the statement I made.  I agree with you that
> if the OGSA security model does not allow for transport
> security, then that is a problem.  The performance hit was
> just too much too take.  I guess a better way of saying what
> I meant was I hope we can make most or all of the security
> pluggable via some reasonable interfaces (the authz interface
> in GridFTP has been very successful in this respect).  This
> will allow communities to plug in whatever is appropriate for them.

yes, i agree. it is difficult to decouple these things from the implementation though..

cheers
peter