[DFDL-WG] Resolution of the ICU-related "#.##" textNumberPattern with 0.12

Mike Beckerle mbeckerle at apache.org
Thu Mar 14 10:58:45 PDT 2024

I cannot find the original email thread about this, but for
records/posterity...

The issue is described in this JIRA ticket:
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/DAFFODIL-2859

That was closed as "Won't Fix".

In short, why does 0.12 format as "0.12" instead of ".12" when
textNumberPattern is "#.##".  It would seem that "#.##" would mean the
leading 0 is optional. But it doesn't.
ICU chooses the minimum number of integer digits to be 1 even when the
textNumberPattern has "#" before the decimal point.

ICU team did not resolve this either way, the bug I reported there remains
open: https://unicode-org.atlassian.net/browse/CLDR-17309

But, this would be a significant change in ICU behavior, so probably cannot
change in ICU without requiring a switch be thrown to enable it.

Mike Beckerle
Apache Daffodil PMC | daffodil.apache.org
OGF DFDL Workgroup Co-Chair | www.ogf.org/ogf/doku.php/standards/dfdl/dfdl
Owl Cyber Defense | www.owlcyberdefense.com