[DFDL-WG] Supplementary notes from yesterday

Jens Jensen (UKRI-STFC) jens.jensen at stfc.ac.uk
Fri Mar 3 01:15:19 PST 2023

As requested by Steve, here is a summary of sorts of the non-ISO/IEC
part of my notes to DFDL.

  * The NCEO call (www.nceo.ac.uk, National Centre for Earth Obs or
    something to that effect) aims to link the five NERC data centres in
    the UK
  * Additionally, they want the data to be more Useful™ so ability to
    link with other data sources
  * As evidence of the latter, the three themes are green energy,
    climate change and food security
  * First round of funding
      o Academic users of EO data to capture requirements and a few
        other bits
      o Expecting six groups funded, £10k each to work March-June, six
        short deliverables
      o Deadline is Tuesday next week and we only just learned about the
        call so I have submitted a request for extension (though I am
        not eligible for funding myself, I don't think)
  * Later industry will be brought in to build the infrastructure. My
    workplace hosts an industry information day 13 March (I will be
    there at least some of the day)
      o The entire programme is £10M.

Both my boss and I have noted that it aligns with work we already wanted
to do in DAFNI (www.dafni.ac.uk), data analysis facility for national
infrastructure, where we have quite a few high profile climate
emergency/resilience projects now.

My interest is primarily exploring whether DFDL is useful in the
plumbing for the data pipelines - the DAFNI ones may end up being
similar to the NCEO ones as there are a lot of interconnection points
(we have separate funding for this in another freshly minted £4M
programme called BSRW, where we will also be funding research and
development).  I also noted that IBM UK would likely be interested in
being engaged as an industry bidder.

With apologies for derailing the agenda yesterday, it was nice to see
the DFDL team again. I follow the mailing list and the github stuff but
don't always have time to engage at the level I'd like, so it was nice
to have the update from Mike as well.

Thanks
--jens