[DFDL-WG] DFDL as an ISO standard

Wolfgang Ziegler wolfgang.ziegler at z-rands.de
Thu Feb 24 04:57:53 EST 2022

Dear Steve,

we are still working on the first step of the process, the application
for OGF becoming a PAS submitter. We expect to submit the application
letter begin of March. Once OGF will be a recognised PAS submitter we
will have an assigned mentor who will guide us through the next steps
which mostly will have to be taken by the DFDL WG.

Actually I sent a mail to you and the group with some questions
we need to answer in the application. It looks like the mail
was not sent because I probably lost my network connection while
I was travelling by train.

Here are the questions

- what are the expectations of the proposer toward technical and editorial
   changes to the specification during the transposition process?

- How  flexible  is  the  proposing  organization  toward  using  only  portions
   of  the  pro- posed specification or adding supplemental material to it?

- What are the intentions of the proposing organization toward future additions,
   extensions, deletions or modifications  to  the  specification?  Under what
   conditions? When? Rationale?

- What  willingness  exists  to  work  with  JTC  1  on  future  versions  in
   order  to  avoid divergence?
   Note that the answer to this question is particularly relevant in cases where
   doubts may exist about the openness of the submitter organization.

- What is the scope of the organization activities relative to specifications
   similar to but beyond that being proposed?

- What patent rights, covering any item of the proposal, is the PAS owner
   aware of?

- What trademarks apply to the DFDL specification?

I would be great if you could discuss the questions during the next WG
meeting and send us answers then.

Thanks & best regards

Wolfgang

--
                            Dr. Wolfgang Ziegler
    				 z-rands

                Tel: +49 2242 80371; Mobil: +49 151 50445303

       StandICT - Supporting European Experts Presence in International
                        Standardisation Activities in ICT
      www.standict.eu, www.linkedin.com/in/standict, twitter: @Stand_ICT

       elasticLM - Software License Technology for Grids, Clouds, SOA
                              www.elasticlm.com

   Fortissimo - Enabling Manufacturing SMEs to benefit from High Performance,
           Computer-based Simulations: www.fortissimo-project.eu