[DFDL-WG] example for extraEscapedCharacters

Mike Beckerle mbeckerle.dfdl at gmail.com
Thu May 20 13:23:31 EDT 2021

I've been searching our email history for the motivating example for
extraEscapedCharacters property.

I can't find it. Does anyone recall this?

I vaguely recall a format where we had CSV-like data that already contained
escaped characters like

"foo\nbar\,baz,next,next"

Where the \n is just part of the data, regardless of the fact that \ is
also the escape character.
Normal rules would remove the "\" since it is the escape character, and
that would result in corrupting such data.

But it makes no sense to have extraEscapedCharacter="n" since n is just a
letter and could appear without the escape. It would be wrong to escape
every letter n.

So this example isn't sufficient. I see no way to cope with this particular
case other than lengthKind='pattern' which is the usual way to cope with
complexities like this.

But I know there was a motivating example for extraEscapedCharacters
property.

Mike Beckerle | OGF DFDL Workgroup Co-Chair | Owl Cyber Defense |
www.owlcyberdefense.com