[DFDL-WG] DFDL Spec Working Draft r29

Steve Hanson smh at uk.ibm.com
Thu Oct 1 10:53:47 EDT 2020

Mike

Have reviewed up to start of 9.3.  Comments added. Note I used
LibreOffice.  We can start going through them on call today if you like.

IBM Hybrid Integration, Hursley, UK
Architect, IBM DFDL
Co-Chair, OGF DFDL Working Group
smh at uk.ibm.com
tel:+44-1962-815848
mob:+44-7717-378890
Note: I work Tuesday to Friday

From:   Mike Beckerle <mbeckerle.dfdl at gmail.com>
To:     DFDL-WG <dfdl-wg at ogf.org>
Date:   29/09/2020 23:29
Subject:        [EXTERNAL] [DFDL-WG] DFDL Spec Working Draft r29
Sent by:        "dfdl-wg" <dfdl-wg-bounces at ogf.org>

Steve H., and DFDL Workgroup,

I have uploaded version r29 of the DFDL spec as MS-Word ".docx"

This has all the comments from the external review by Martin Westhead
applied to it, including numerous forward references fixed. In general the
material flows better (IMHO) and is better organized with a number of
out-of-place discussions/paragraphs repositioned to be in a better place
with other related material. I believe this is a substantially better
document now.

I have tried to mark the moves of sections of text with comment bubbles.
I'm sure there are some missing however.

Not every comment bubble is resolved as yet.
Comment bubbles marked TBD mean a change is still expected or an issue to
be resolved. Some of these are calls for new material such as new
clarifying examples, and we may or may not decide to put them in.
Comment bubbles marked "Note" are FYI for read/review and may not involve
any further change. Basically, it says "Note" if I currently think the
issue that motivated the change has been resolved, but you may have a
different opinion.
You will find two variants of the document: one has MS-Word change
tracking, the other has all changes accepted. When sections were
renumbered I had to turn off MS-Word change tracking. So you'll notice
that even in the track-changes version, renumberings are (mostly) not
marked as tracked changes.

It is my hope that after another read-through the renumbering and
reorganization are accepted and we can go forward from here using the
all-changes-accepted version, though I realize in review it may be
important to see what text has been deleted/inserted via the
change-tracked variant.

It is also my hope that we are getting close to a draft ready for public
review.

Saving reviewer/proofread time is the most important thing, so you may
print it out, and redline it with red ink if you wish, and ship the result
to me via courier/fedex. Or if possible you can PDF it, and can virtual
red-ink it with a tablet computer/stylus, and e-send the PDF to me. This
is the model Martin Westhead used when reviewing, and it worked well for
me. But basically, I will accept feedback/review in any form: MS-Word
comment bubbles are fine, as is red-ink on paper.

One possibly useful technique: If you open the "tracked" variant in
MS-Word, and from the review tab, choose "Simple Markup" as the change
display mode, you will get just margin side-bars marking where changes
are, and the comment bubbles, but otherwise not too much change noise. You
can click on any given sidebar and it will switch to "All Markup" mode
showing you the detailed tracked changes, but you can switch back to
"Simple Markup" after reviewing the details.

I have started keeping these files on the OGF Github under
docs/working-drafts, they are also on redmine in the current documents.

OGF Github DFDL repository has URLs:

https://github.com/OpenGridForum/DFDL.git

or if you prefer ssh:

git at github.com:OpenGridForum/DFDL.git

Redmine the two docs are:

https://redmine.ogf.org/dmsf_files/13621?download=
https://redmine.ogf.org/dmsf_files/13622?download=

-mikeb

Mike Beckerle | OGF DFDL Workgroup Co-Chair | Owl Cyber Defense |
www.owlcyberdefense.com