[DFDL-WG] clarification needed: choice with direct dispatch is/is-not a PoU

Steve Hanson smh at uk.ibm.com
Fri Jul 24 07:14:00 EDT 2020

Action 319 raised to add clarification to 9.3.3.1.

IBM Hybrid Integration, Hursley, UK
Architect, IBM DFDL
Co-Chair, OGF DFDL Working Group
smh at uk.ibm.com
tel:+44-1962-815848
mob:+44-7717-378890
Note: I work Tuesday to Friday

From:   Mike Beckerle <mbeckerle.dfdl at gmail.com>
To:     Steve Hanson <smh at uk.ibm.com>
Cc:     DFDL-WG <dfdl-wg at ogf.org>
Date:   17/07/2020 13:35
Subject:        [EXTERNAL] Re: [DFDL-WG] clarification needed: choice with
direct dispatch is/is-not a PoU

Yes I think this clarification in 9.3.3.1 is definitely needed, as we
learned daffodil doesn't actually implement this right in the case of two
regular nested choices (where the inner one is NOT choice by dispatch).

Basically, there's a stack of discriminator booleans, and a discriminator
evaluating to true sets the state of the top of stack. That's wrong. It
has to find the first non-true discriminator, searching down the stack,
and set that one true instead.

Mike Beckerle | OGF DFDL Workgroup Co-Chair | Owl Cyber Defense |
www.owlcyberdefense.com