[DFDL-WG] clarification needed: choice with direct dispatch is/is-not a PoU

Mike Beckerle mbeckerle.dfdl at gmail.com
Mon Jul 13 09:49:55 EDT 2020

Just like an array with a computed number of occurrences, I believe a
choice with direct dispatch should have no PoU.

But the spec has this phrase "An xs:choice is always a point of
uncertainty. It is resolved sequentially, or by direct dispatch."

Which suggests there is a role for asserts/discriminators in resolving a
choice by direct dispatch even though there shouldn't be.

I think we should clarify this to "An xs:choice either is a point of
uncertainty, or uses direct dispatch."

Mike Beckerle | OGF DFDL Workgroup Co-Chair | Owl Cyber Defense |
www.owlcyberdefense.com