[DFDL-WG] Problem: simple format that is impossible to model

Mike Beckerle mbeckerle.dfdl at gmail.com
Wed Oct 2 17:36:22 EDT 2019

Those are interesting technicalities. I'll try to keep them in mind.

But the sentence in 9.2.5 that I am trying to reconcile is actually prior
to the one you listed:

    The normal representation can be a zero-length representation if the
type is xs:string or xs:hexBinary and there is no framing.

So, how to interpret "there is no framing"?

I was interpreting as no framing *possible* as in the schema statically is
defined so that there is no framing, i.e, dfdl:initiator=""
dfdl:terminator="", no alignment regions, etc.

By this  interpretation I believe the statement from 9.2.5 is just
incorrect. If no framing is defined, there is no way to distinguish Empty
from Normal for Strings, so we go with Empty.

The other interpretation of "there is no framing" is like this:  "while
non-zero framing is possible, no framing is actually present in this
particular occurrence in the data stream".

This covers cases like dfdl:terminator="%WSP*;" where it can match zero or
more characters.

But I still am unable to construct an example where

* the framing is declared in the schema and it can be zero-length framing
or greater than zero, so it is acceptable that none is present

* no framing is present

* the value is also zero-length

* where it is clear we should get NormalRep not EmptyRep.