[DFDL-WG] clarification: on suppressed ZL string/hexBinary - do we keep variable assignments?

Mike Beckerle mbeckerle.dfdl at gmail.com
Tue Jul 24 10:14:56 EDT 2018

In some situations we parse and get a successful zero-length parse for a
string or hexBinary.

But because the occurrence is optional, we do NOT add an element to the
infoset.

In that case, what happens to side-effects that occurred during the
successful parse. There are two possible kinds of side-effects. Variables
can be set, and a discriminator can be set to true.

It seems to me that if a discriminator is set, then that *must* be
preserved, and in that case it would seem the variable settings should be
retained as well.

Comments?