[DFDL-WG] clarification: on suppressed ZL string/hexBinary - do we keep variable assignments?

Mike Beckerle mbeckerle.dfdl at gmail.com
Wed Aug 1 10:11:04 EDT 2018

To follow up then,

I have assumed that dfdl:emptyValueDelimiterPolicy isn't even examined
unless the element has default="..." i.e., a non-zero-length default value
specified. I.e., without a default value, there is no concept of emptiness
as distinct from "normal" representation.

Are you suggesting that it is also used to control when an empty string (or
empty hexbinary) is accepted as a normal representation value for an
optional element, vs. treated as a missing value? That's a reasonable
interpretation that I would support, but I don't know that the spec says
that anywhere, so we need to add a sentence. (Unless I'm missing where this
is stated.)

I have also thought that dfdl:emptyValueDelimiterPolicy must be combined
with dfdl:initiator and dfdl:terminator. If the combination of these is
such that the empty representation is zero-length, that is what creates the
situation of interest here, where it is ambiguous whether the value is the
official empty representation or is the normal representation that just so
happens to be of zero length.  That is, there's no special significance to
the 'none' EVDP property value.

For example, if dfdl:emptyValueDelimiterPolicy is 'both', but
dfdl:initiator="" and dfdl:terminator="", then that's just as good as
dfdl:emptyValueDelimiterPolicy='none' in terms of whatever effect this has
on a decision about normal vs. missing.

Does this match your understanding?