[DFDL-WG] clarification needed - choice with both dispatch and discriminator

Steve Hanson smh at uk.ibm.com
Fri Jan 27 11:45:08 EST 2017

The choiceBranchKey resolves the choice PoC and the subsequent
discriminator resolves any outer PoC. Andy I have modified your words - do
you agree?

IBM Hybrid Integration, Hursley, UK
Architect, IBM DFDL
Co-Chair, OGF DFDL Working Group
smh at uk.ibm.com
tel:+44-1962-815848
mob:+44-7717-378890

From:   Andrew Edwards/UK/IBM at IBMGB
To:     mbeckerle.dfdl at gmail.com
Cc:     dfdl-wg at ogf.org
Date:   27/01/2017 03:57
Subject:        Re: [DFDL-WG] clarification needed - choice with both
dispatch        and     discriminator
Sent by:        "dfdl-wg" <dfdl-wg-bounces at ogf.org>

Section 15.1.2 also says the following:

When a match is found, it is as if a dfdl:discriminator had evaluated to
true on that branch. It is selected as resolution of the choice, and there
is no backtracking to try other alternative selections if a processing
error occurs.

I have always taken that to mean that a match with direct dispatch is
taken as definitive, and if a following discriminator check on that choice
branch fails, then it is a valid error situation.  That is to say, the
model is accurately saying that the data doesn't match the entire choice.
It matches enough to look like direct dispatch can make a selection and
resolve the choice to that branch, but a further discrimination check has
proved that the entire choice doesn't match the data.

Andy Edwards
Software Engineer
E-mail: andy.edwards at uk.ibm.com
Snail-mail: MP211, Hursley park, Hursley, WINCHESTER, Hants, SO21 2JN
Phone (internal): 247222
Phone (external): 44-1962-817222
Desk: DE3 F16
The Feynman problem solving Algorithm: