[DFDL-WG] Proposed feature: lookup tables via simple type unions

Mike Beckerle mbeckerle.dfdl at gmail.com
Wed Feb 22 12:36:13 EST 2017

A write up of the proposal, which we are prototyping in Daffodil, is here:

https://opensource.ncsa.illinois.edu/confluence/display/DFDL/Enumerations+and+Range+Tables+via+Simple+Type+Unions

This is needed by a number of data formats we are working with where there
are large enumerations having as many as 2000 members. Often these
enumerations are a mixture where single values correspond to some
enumerated strings, and ranges of  values correspond to others.

Using expressions to translate representation integers into strings is
infeasible, as no constant-time case-statement-like construct is available
in DFDL.