[DFDL-WG] DFDL4S use of wildcard/regex in length path expression

Steve Hanson smh at uk.ibm.com
Tue Sep 13 08:15:21 EDT 2016

Hi Michele

I don't believe the DFDL-WG ever received a reply to the questions below ?

IBM Integration Bus, Hursley, UK
Architect, IBM DFDL
Co-Chair, OGF DFDL Working Group
smh at uk.ibm.com
tel:+44-1962-815848
mob:+44-7717-378890

From:   Mike Beckerle <mbeckerle.dfdl at gmail.com>
To:     Michele Zundo <michele.zundo at esa.int>, Steve Hanson/UK/IBM at IBMGB,
"dfdl-wg at ogf.org" <dfdl-wg at ogf.org>
Cc:     "Rui Mestre (DME)" <rui.mestre at deimos.com.pt>
Date:   28/07/2016 16:30
Subject:        DFDL4S use of wildcard/regex in length path expression

(I edited the subject line for this discussion.)

Michele,

Could you send the parts of the DFDL4S schema that use the types that have
these wildcard/regex in them?

Also, please send as a zip file, not a jar. Google, in its infinite
wisdom, has decided that it is better to save me from a potential computer
virus than to let me get my work done, and they block all access to
attachments that are jar files, you can't rename them, save to Drive, save
to local file system, nor forward them to a different email account.

I want to see exactly what this wildcard is doing for you. I suspect it is
just allowing these types to be reused in contexts where otherwise you'd
have to have separate
complex type definitions just because this one step of the path is
different at the different points of re-use.

I want to really think about whether there is some other way to achieve
this same reusability, or if not, just how bad is the workaround.

...mike beckerle