[DFDL-WG] clarification - lengthKind pattern IS allowed for hexBinary?

Steve Hanson smh at uk.ibm.com
Mon Oct 31 14:30:36 EDT 2016

Hi Mike

Correct, there is no longer such a restriction, although IBM DFDL is in
the same position as Daffodil.

From the original errata document (experience doc 1):

3.9. Section 12.3.5, 7.3.1, 7.3.2.  The spec originally allows lengthKind
‘pattern’ to be used when the representation of the current element, or of
a child element, is binary, but imposes restrictions on the encoding that
can be in force.

Clarify that the encoding property must be defined for the element (else
schema definition error), and that a decoding processing error is possible
if the match of the regex encounters data that does not decode in that
encoding, dependent on the setting of encodingErrorPolicy. Remove section
12.3.5.1.

Same clarifications needed for testKind ”pattern” property for asserts and
discriminators.

For consistency, the restriction that a complex element of specified
length and lengthUnits ‘characters’ must have children that are all text
and that have the same encoding as the complex element, is dropped.

IBM Hybrid Integration, Hursley, UK
Architect, IBM DFDL
Co-Chair, OGF DFDL Working Group
smh at uk.ibm.com