[DFDL-WG] Clarification for nil processing and zero length

Mike Beckerle mbeckerle.dfdl at gmail.com
Fri Mar 4 09:59:44 EST 2016

My read of 13.16 says that for nilKind 'literalValue' and textual
representation, WSP* is already allowed for simple types.  So I think
nilValue="%WSP*;" should work and match empty string.

Delimiters have qualifiers on ES alone and WSP* alone e.g., for separator:
"However, the WSP* entity cannot appear on its own as one of the string
literals in the list when determining the length of a component by scanning
for delimiters, , and it is a schema definition error otherwise. delimiters"

(Note the fragment at the end of that sentence. That's a spec. bug)

But I see no such stipulation for nilValue.