[DFDL-WG] Fw: clarification or maybe restriction needed: delimited hexBinary question

Steve Hanson smh at uk.ibm.com
Thu Jun 16 11:12:21 EDT 2016

Mike

Your example below should use dfdl:terminator not dfdl:separator but that
does not materially change anything.

I think it means that the data is raw bytes, no character decoding is
happening at runtime. The delimiters are converted to bytes, and the scan
is to find those bytes.

Correct.

However, that leaves off the ability to use delimiters with character
class entities, like separator="年%WSP+;" since WSP+ one or more
repeats of any of several whitespace characters. It can't just be
converted to a sequence of bytes.

The IBM DFDL scanner converts everything to bytes, including WSP+ and WSP*
delimiters, even when matching characters, so the scan is purely
byte-based. Originally this was so a scan handled raw byte entities and
parent delimiters with different encodings. This was extended to handle
the delimited binary elements erratum - the only difference is that bytes
read from the input stream are not converted from an encoding.

IBM Integration Bus, Hursley, UK
Architect, IBM DFDL
Co-Chair, OGF DFDL Working Group
smh at uk.ibm.com