[DFDL-WG] minor spec issue - Section 2: required, optional, and RFC2119 notational conventions

Mike Beckerle mbeckerle.dfdl at gmail.com
Thu Oct 22 07:46:00 EDT 2015

In Section 2 on notational conventions we say "The key words must, must
not, required, shall, shall not, should, should not, recommended, may,
may not and optional in this document are to be interpreted as described in
[RFC2119]."

Which is fine except for the words "required" and "optional" which we use
in several different senses. Section 21 on optional features of the DFDL
standard uses "optional" vs. "required" in this sense of RFC2119.

But we also use "Optional Occurrence",  "Optional Element" very
specifically and define them in our glossary. (Along with Required
Occurrence and Required Element.)

So the above sentence on notational conventions we should just drop the
words "optional" and "required".

I looked for synonyms for required/optional. mandatory/nonmandatory and
compulsory/noncompulsory are ones that we might consider using in the
future. We do use mandatory now as in mandatory alignment of character set
code units.