[DFDL-WG] minor spec issue - Section 2: required, optional, and RFC2119 notational conventions

Steve Hanson smh at uk.ibm.com
Fri Nov 6 13:06:45 EST 2015

Action raised.

Architect, IBM DFDL
Co-Chair, OGF DFDL Working Group
IBM Integration Bus, Hursley, UK
smh at uk.ibm.com
tel:+44-1962-815848
mob:+44-7717-378890

From:   Steve Hanson/UK/IBM
To:     Mike Beckerle <mbeckerle.dfdl at gmail.com>
Cc:     "dfdl-wg at ogf.org" <dfdl-wg at ogf.org>
Date:   26/10/2015 11:09
Subject:        Re: [DFDL-WG] minor spec issue - Section 2: required,
optional, and RFC2119 notational conventions

Mike,

I agree with your conclusion.

In RFC2119 'must' and 'shall' are also synonyms, and I would like to see
the DFDL spec use 'must' throughout and drop the use of 'shall' (it looks
like there is only one use - in section 9.3.2.2).

Fwiw I've always been suspicious of that statement in section 2, as I
don't believe there has ever been a review of the uses of 'must',
'should', 'may' to ensure compliance with RFC2119.

Architect, IBM DFDL
Co-Chair, OGF DFDL Working Group
IBM Systems, Hursley, UK
smh at uk.ibm.com