[DFDL-WG] Action 276: Erratum 2.100 (was Action 183 - chicken-and-egg situation with lengths given by expressions)

Steve Hanson smh at uk.ibm.com
Mon Jan 19 13:06:58 EST 2015

Please have a position on the below proposal from IBM for this week's WG
call.

Architect, IBM DFDL
smh at uk.ibm.com
tel:+44-1962-815848

From:   Steve Hanson/UK/IBM
To:     DFDL-WG <dfdl-wg at ogf.org>
Date:   12/01/2015 18:14
Subject:        Fw: [DFDL-WG] Erratum 2.100 (was Action 183 -
chicken-and-egg situation with lengths given by expressions)

After internal discussion, IBM proposes the following:

No new dfdl:lengthKind enums

dfdl:lengthKind 'explicit' is always considered to be 'fixed length'

When dfdl:length is an expression, it is always evaluated when unparsing

If the intent is for the infoset data of the element to provide the
length, the integer element that is the target of the expression should
use dfdl:outputValueCalc with function dfdl:valueLength() referring
forward to the infoset element. (Use of dfdl:contentLength() is a schema
definition error as it can cause deadlock).

It should be noted that dfdl:valueLength() returns an unpadded length.
This does not take into account the XSD minLength or
dfdl:textOutputMinLength properties.

The net is that for simple text elements with dfdl:textPadKind 'padChar',
'delimited', 'pattern', 'prefixed' are considered variable length when
unparsing and are padded to a minimum length, and 'implicit', 'explicit',
'endOfParent' have a target length and are padded to that length.

Similar for xs:hexBinary elements, 'delimited', 'pattern', 'prefixed' are
always padded to a minimum length, and 'implicit', 'explicit',
'endOfParent' are always padded to target length.

So for a text element with dfdl:textPadKind 'padChar', or a xs:hexBinary
element, and its unpaddedLength is less than the minimum, 'explicit'
(expression) is not identical in behaviour to 'prefixed'.

If the last point is thought to be a problem, options are to allow
dfdl:valueLength() to return minimum length or actual length depending on
a new argument, or create a new function to return minimum length. This
can be done under existing deferred action 242.

To verify that these changes fit into the spec ok, I have updated it -
change tracking on and comment for each change.

Architect, IBM DFDL
smh at uk.ibm.com
tel:+44-1962-815848
----- Forwarded by Steve Hanson/UK/IBM on 12/01/2015 10:20 -----