[DFDL-WG] OGF DFDL WG Call Agenda 2015-08-11 - agenda item on ICU 'S' symbol

Steve Hanson smh at uk.ibm.com
Tue Aug 11 07:53:07 EDT 2015

Hi Andy

Your internal ticket #630 gave rise to external ticket
http://bugs.icu-project.org/trac/ticket/10962, which claims to have fixed
the API docs to clarify the behaviour.

fractional second - truncates (like other time fields)
to the count of letters when formatting. Appends
zeros if more than 3 letters specified. Truncates at
three significant digits when parsing.
SS
SSS
SSSS
2
23
235
2350

I can't see anywhere that addresses your point about about abutting versus
non-abutting numeric symbols though?

As far as DFDL spec is concerned, this is what we say today:

fractional second (see note 1)
Number
SS
SSS
2
24
235

There is no 'note 1', I think the note was made into a normal paragraph,
which reads:

Any number of fractional seconds "S" may by specified in the pattern and
accepted by implementations, but an implementation is free to represent a
limited number of fractional seconds internally. Excess fractional seconds
are truncated, not rounded up. At least millisecond accuracy must be
implemented. Unlike other fields, fractional seconds are padded on the
right with zero.

Architect, IBM DFDL
smh at uk.ibm.com
tel:+44-1962-815848