[DFDL-WG] complex nillable ES restriction

Mike Beckerle mbeckerle.dfdl at gmail.com
Mon Apr 27 14:05:56 EDT 2015

Right now complex elements can be nillable, but we have this ad-hoc
restriction that says the nilValue can only be %ES;.

The rationale for this is unclear to me. Can we review what the rationale
for this restriction was? Does anyone recall?

We have a format where the literal nil value for the complex type wants to
be "%WSP*;-%WSP*;" that is, a hyphen, but with surrounding whitespace
absorbed.

We can model this a different way, but the natural thing to do is to model
it as suggested.

(This also just happens to run on Daffodil - because we're not detecting
this ad-hoc restriction - a bug)