[DFDL-WG] Fw: Fw: Action 260

Mike Beckerle mbeckerle.dfdl at gmail.com
Mon Nov 17 18:11:15 EST 2014

So I looked into what would be changed in the spec to make the adjustment
suggested in this email thread, in intent.

Rewriting the section is very undesirable at this stage for DFDL, so I was
looking for incremental changes.

What I came up with is this. In section 14.2.2 simply drop the sentences
that mention this idea of an implied SSP, because they suggest the need to
reconcile conflicting behaviors in the mixed case. I.e., drop all  "The
dfdl:separatorSuppressionPolicy is not applicable and the implied behaviour
is  '....'."

With the omission of these sentences, the notion of an implied separator
suppression policy that conflicts with one on the sequence goes away. There
is only the SSP property of the sequence, and it is either relevant to the
decision of whether to expect an item and its separator, or it isn't.

The current descriptions in 14.2.2 of the behavior around suppression for
each occursCountKind seem to be correct and match the table in this email
thread, except for parsed.

I'm not sure I agree with the assertion in this email thread that ock
parsed only makes sense with "anyEmpty" behavior. We currently say in the
spec that it has anyEmpty behavior, but if we drop that sentence (per
suggestion above), then we would be loosening the behavior to allow empty
elements in some cases.

Suppose:

<sequence dfdl:separatorSuppressionPolicy="trailingEmpty"
dfdl:separator="|" dfdl:separatorPosition="infix"
    dfdl:terminator="%NL;">
   <element name="a" type="xs:string" maxOccurs="unbounded"
dfdl:occursCountKind='parsed'/>
</sequence>

In this case, the array is declared last in its sequence. The occurrences
will all be element a, so this is positional. The number of them is
determined by OCK parsed, and if enabled, validation will check, in this
case, that at least 1 occurrence (the default for minOccurs) appears.

In this case, empty string is a legal value, and we're not strict about
trailing separators, so data like:

5|6|7||

is fine isn't it? The 'parsed' means you'll get 2 more empty string
elements for the array when parsing that will not be re-created when
unparsing, as they would be suppressed. I believe that is ok. There are
many formats that can have that sort of asymmetry.

Change the above example to SSP trailingEmptyStrict, and now:

5,6,7||9

Now makes sense and you get one empty string in position 4. On unparsing
this empty string would even get written out.

I agree 'parsed' and SSP 'never' don't make sense together (as they don't
for OCK implicit), but the other 3 SSPs seem ok to me for declared-last
elements. OCK parsed behaves (w.r.t. suppression, and ignoring defaulting
and validation) just like OCK implicit with minOccurs 0 and maxOccurs
'unbounded'.

If we want to preserve the current restriction that parsed behaves like
'anyEmpty', then we can stipulate that when OCK is 'parsed', any number of
*non-empty* occurrences and their separators are expected. (I would not be
in favor of this.)

As already noted in this thread, we also should add a sentence to
stopValue: "The dfdl:stopValue property must not include empty string."

The net result of these changes still isn't all that great, but it does
remove one source of confusion - the 'implied' SSP conflict.