[DFDL-WG] Action 261

Steve Hanson smh at uk.ibm.com
Wed Jun 11 11:12:48 EDT 2014

Replies in <smh> tags

Architect, IBM DFDL
smh at uk.ibm.com
tel:+44-1962-815848

From:   Tim Kimber/UK/IBM at IBMGB
To:     dfdl-wg at ogf.org,
Date:   11/06/2014 13:58
Subject:        Re: [DFDL-WG] Action 261
Sent by:        dfdl-wg-bounces at ogf.org

comments in <tk>tags
regards,

Tim Kimber,
IBM Integration Bus Development (Industry Packs)
Hursley, UK
Internet:  kimbert at uk.ibm.com
Tel. 01962-816742
Internal tel. 37246742

From:        Steve Hanson/UK/IBM
To:        Tim Kimber/UK/IBM at IBMGB,
Cc:        dfdl-wg at ogf.org, dfdl-wg-bounces at ogf.org
Date:        11/06/2014 10:47

Some thoughts on this...

I agree that the definition of positional sequence in the spec needs
tightening as it is ambiguous as it stands and could be interpreted as a)
or b).  If we adopted b) then that would appear to allow 'expression' to
appear in a positional sequence, but wouldn't it also allow 'stopValue'?
<tk>Yes - according to definition b) stopValue would be allowable in a
positional sequence. We could still disallow it if we do not believe there
is any benefit in allowing it. I don't believe it introduces any
particular complexities for an implementer.</tk>

occursCountKind 'expression' is analogous to lengthKind 'explicit' with an
expression and to lengthKind 'prefixed'. Both these lengthKinds are
classified as 'specified length' when parsing but 'variable length' when
unparsing. We are observing that occursCountKind 'expression' is like
'fixed' when parsing but not quite so like 'fixed' when unparsing - which
is why section 16 groups 'expression' with 'parsed' for unparsing.
<tk>Yes - we took a decision that the unparser should ignore the
expression in lengthKind/occursCountKind, and just output whatever data
happens to be in the info set. I'm not sure that it saves a lot of effort
in the implementation and it certainly is not easy to justify as a
consistent behaviour. For me, the unparser should treat
lengthKind='explicit' the same way whether the value is static or
calculated. And the unparser should treat occursCountKind='expression' the
same way as occursCountKind='fixed'. </tk>

When unparsing occursCountKind 'expression' you don't always have the
calculated array length N. If the infoset was derived from XML, there is
likely no 'count' element, just a bunch of elements with the same name
that make up the 'array'. DFDL gives you the choice whether to a) manually
set the count element, or b) have the unparser set it automatically via
outputValueCalc. In the former case, you can create a document that can
not be parsed; the unparser could check the 'count' element matches the
infoset, but that would involve reverse engineering an arbitrarily complex
expression and is why the specification does not say that.
<tk>It would involve evaluating the expression. In most cases, that will
not require any lookahead because the Length/Count field will precede the
array or element. Not sure where the reverse engineering comes in?</tk>
<smh>I see what you are saying. Just evaluate the expression and see what
it gives for N. That handles case a) but not b) where I explicitly want
the unparser to set the count via outputValueCalc - which is presumably
referring to the number of elements in the array, which is not known. For
case b) N has to be the number in the infoset. Given that we have to
support case b) the unparser can not treat occursCountKind 'expression'
exactly the same as 'fixed' when unparsing.</smh>

<smh>Similarly with lengthKind 'explicit' with an expression. For the
equivalent to case a) the length is known which makes the length fixed,
but for the equivalent of case b) with outputValueCalc the length is not
known so it is variable. When this was discussed in the past, it was
decided not to bifurcate the expression scenario. Hence the spec is the
way it is. </smh>

Here's a real example of such an expression (albeit with lengthKind
'explicit' but the principle is the same):

        dfdl:length="{xs:nonNegativeInteger(fn:floor((../Length + 1) div
2))}"

Alex brought up the case where the expression evaluates to 0. In a
positional sequence, would you still expect a delimiter for this case?
<tk>Yes, unless it is in the trailing optional region of the group and
SSP='trailingEmpty'. In a positional sequence, every delimiter must be
present until suppression begins ( if allowed )</tk>

If 'yes' then the resultant zero length string must be treated as the
'absent representation' and ignored. If 'no' then is the sequence still
positional?
<tk>I don't understand the point. Why would it not be the 'empty
representation'? Why must it be 'ignored' if it does happen to be the
'absent representation'? What does 'ignored' mean?</tk>
<smh>The point is that the parser has been told there are 0 occurrences.
So it would be odd if the infoset ended up containing an occurrence, which
can happen if the normal nil/empty rules are followed. (Eg,
nilValue=%ES;). Hence the 0 occurrence case must treat it as absent which
means nothing is added to the infoset. Take the ISO8583 bitmap use case -
if the bit is 0 we must not try to parse anything at all for that element
- it is totally absent.</smh>

Architect, IBM DFDL
smh at uk.ibm.com
tel:+44-1962-815848