[DFDL-WG] clarification on dfdl:occursIndex() function

Tim Kimber KIMBERT at uk.ibm.com
Mon Jul 28 18:46:20 EDT 2014

I agree that it is inconvenient for the 'nearest array parent' to be
inaccessible. However, experience with discriminators makes me fearful of
any rule that includes the phrase 'nearest enclosing' :-)
I think at least one other DFDL function allows the target of the function
to be specified as an argument, but insists that the argument must be in
the dynamic scope of the element ( i.e. its parent/grandparent etc ). I
would be much happier with that solution for occursCountIndex().

I can think of a use case where it may be useful to get a consistent
behaviour for occursCountIndex(). If a DFDL schema is generated from some
other data format description then the model generation code may want to
refer to the nth occurrence of something else in the model, where n is the
occurs index of the current element - regardless of whether this
particular element is an array.

regards,

Tim Kimber,