[DFDL-WG] Direct Dispatch case insensitivity on matching

Steve Hanson smh at uk.ibm.com
Wed Jul 9 05:15:10 EDT 2014

Agreed on WG call that the match should be case-sensitive and that
dfdl:ignoreCase is not used as these are not representation properties.

Architect, IBM DFDL
smh at uk.ibm.com
tel:+44-1962-815848

From:   Andrew Edwards/UK/IBM at IBMGB
To:     dfdl-wg at ogf.org,
Date:   25/06/2014 17:30
Subject:        [DFDL-WG] Direct Dispatch case insensitivity on matching
Sent by:        dfdl-wg-bounces at ogf.org

In section 15 Choices, we define the direct dispatch method of choice
resolution.  For the choiceDispatchKey, we make the statements that...

The expression must evaluate to an xs:string which must not be the empty
string.

and

The resultant string must match the dfdl:choiceBranchKey property value of
one of the element branches of the choice. This match is case insensitive.

The use of a case insensitive match can be a bit of a performance
inhibitor, and given that direct dispatch is intended to aid performance
optimising the model, it kinda gets in the way.  If an end user needs case
insensitive searches then they can always define all of their branchKeys
in one case and manually fold the dispatchKey into that case in their
expression (toLower/toUpper).  Can I propose that we remove the criteria
that the match be case insensitive.

The ignoreCase option may also play a part here.

Cheers,
Andy
Andy Edwards - IBM Integration Bus - DFDL

Email:
andy.edwards at uk.ibm.com
Snail Mail:
MP211, Hursley park, Hursley, WINCHESTER, Hants, SO21 2JN
Tel int:
247222
Tel ext:
+44 (0)1962 817222