[DFDL-WG] errata on number of fractional second digits

Cranford, Jonathan W. jcranford at mitre.org
Tue Jul 8 10:59:09 EDT 2014

Not sure if this has been addressed by a subsequent errata or not, but I just noticed something that should be corrected in the spec.

Section 13.11.1 is on the dfdl:calendarPattern property.  The following two statements are made about the number of fractional second digits.

-	"Any number of fractional seconds "S" may by specified in the pattern and accepted by implementations, but an implementation is free to represent a limited number of fractional seconds internally. Excess fractional seconds are truncated, not rounded up. At least millisecond accuracy must be implemented." (Section 13.11.1)
-	"The number of fractional second digits supported is implementation dependent but must be at least one." (Section 13.11.1)

These two statements are not consistent.  I believe the second one should be corrected to say that the minimum # of fractional second digits is three (to support a minimum of millisecond accuracy).

I'm working through the last version that was put out for public comment (v1.0.4), so my apologies if this has already been corrected.

FYI,

--
Jonathan W. Cranford
Senior Information Systems Engineer