[DFDL-WG] Spec question: 16.6 Forward Progress Requirement

Tim Kimber KIMBERT at uk.ibm.com
Tue Jan 28 09:24:12 EST 2014

16.6 Forward Progress Requirement
It is a processing error when an array is potentially unbounded and the
position in the data does
not move during the parsing of an occurrence of the element including any
associated separator.
This is to prevent an infinite loop. An array is potentially unbounded if
any of the following are
true:
* dfdl:occursCountKind is 'parsed' or 'stopValue'
* dfdl:occursCountKind is 'implicit' and XSDL maxOccurs is 'unbounded'

Q1: Is this paragraph intended to
a) safely terminate the parsing of the array, allowing the parser to
proceed with whatever follows in the DFDL schema or
b) cause the parser to discard the entire array along with everything that
was parsed within the nearest point of uncertainty?
If b) then I think a Schema Definition Error would be more appropriate (
because backing out the entire array implies that none of the occurrences
were well-formed and some later branch might be the correct option ).
Although...

Q2: If the array has occursCountKind='stopValue' then none of the
occurrences is an actual point of uncertainty because only stopValue can
terminate the array. If paragraph 16.1 is invoked then a processing error
will be thrown. But the occurrence is not a point of uncertainty so the
entire array will be treated as badly-formed. In other words, behaviour
will be as described in option b) above. I think that is correct in this
case because the array's stopValue was never found.

Q3: Should this infinite-loop detection be performed only after at least
minOccurs occurrences of the array have been processed successfully? Until
then, I think an empty occurrence should cause the default value to be put
into the info set.

regards,

Tim Kimber, DFDL Team,
Hursley, UK