[DFDL-WG] Binary decimal virtual point - unparsing behaviour

Steve Hanson smh at uk.ibm.com
Wed Dec 10 14:21:25 EST 2014

Sorry, but I need a clarification on this.

Spec says ""When unparsing a binary number (packed decimal or
twos-complement) and excess precision is supplied in the Infoset no
rounding occurs. It is a processing error.""

Technically, precision is the number of digits, and trailing zeros are
significant even after a decimal point.

So is it a processing error if I supply an infoset decimal value of 123.
990 and a BDVP of 2?  While this can be serialized to an integer, the
original decimal has excess precision.

Similarly for an infoset decimal value of 12300.0 and a BDVP of -2. This
can be serialized to an integer, but the original decimal has excess
precision.

What this amounts to is whether we give a processing error a) whenever the
infoset supplies excess precision, or b) only when the excess precision
results in a decimal that can't be converted into an integer.

Architect, IBM DFDL
smh at uk.ibm.com
tel:+44-1962-815848