[DFDL-WG] questions

Steve Hanson smh at uk.ibm.com
Wed Apr 30 05:32:49 EDT 2014

I am not aware of a formal comparison with smooks.

For partial parsing you use a loop of parseNext() calls instead of a
single parseAll() call. That puts you in control of how far down the data
you parse. In the Java sample provided with IBM DFDL, the code to do this
is present but commented out.

Two things can happen when a processing error occurs. If inside a point of
uncertainty, such as a choice branch or an optional element, then the
processing error is taken to indicate that the component does not exist,
and the parser then backtracks and tries an alternative (so the error is
suppressed). If not inside a point of uncertainty, then IBM's parser
currently treats that as a fatal error and stops the parse. The spec
(section 2.1) allows for more creative behaviour:

It is expected that DFDL implementations will provide additional
mechanisms for dealing with effective processing errors, such as the means
of specifying retry points or the means of skipping some data so as to
recover from the error in some way. The DFDL specification language does
not provide features for specify such mechanisms

If the data is well-formed (ie, no processing error occurs), then
switching on validation will report all validation errors (section 2.5).

It is possible using an assert to throw a recoverable error after which
the parser will continue (section 2.5).

Architect, IBM DFDL
smh at uk.ibm.com
tel:+44-1962-815848