[DFDL-WG] Fw: DL11A #3: (Question)[1](Open)(English)need clarification

Steve Hanson smh at uk.ibm.com
Fri Apr 11 10:36:28 EDT 2014

Architect, IBM DFDL
smh at uk.ibm.com
tel:+44-1962-815848
----- Forwarded by Steve Hanson/UK/IBM on 11/04/2014 15:36 -----

From:   Steve Hanson/UK/IBM
To:     Kevin Safford/UK/IBM at IBMGB,
Cc:     Alex Wood1/UK/IBM at IBMGB, "Mike Beckerle" <mbeckerle at tresys.com>
Date:   06/03/2014 16:32
Subject:        Re: Fw: DL11A #3: (Question)[1](Open)(English)need
clarification

Kevin

1) When the dfdl:initiator property is a list of values, and the data
matches more than one value, then the longest value is the one selected.
Example: data is aaa12345, dfdl:initiator is "aa aaa", then aaa is the
match as it is longest. However if the data matches more than one value
and the values have the same length, then the one that is declared earlier
in the list is selected.

I have to say that I am struggling to come up with an example where it
actually makes a material difference, because if it matches multiple of
the same length, then surely they must be equivalent anyway? Maybe white
space has an effect here. Mike Beckerle crafted these words, perhaps he
can give an example. (Note that same words occur dfdl:terminator and
dfdl:separator).

2) Agree, and have added to the Minor Editorial public comment on Redmine.

Architect, IBM DFDL
smh at uk.ibm.com
tel:+44-1962-815848