[DFDL-WG] Fw: Time zones with seconds - Re: errata r14.1, and spec internal draft with these integrated in - review #3

Steve Hanson smh at uk.ibm.com
Tue Sep 17 10:28:13 EDT 2013

I think my suggestion of not supporting time zones with optional seconds
has put us into an inconsistent place. I've just re-read the ICU
SimpleDateFormat class entry for Z, reproduced below.  I had not spotted
that Z, Z, ZZZ now also imply optional seconds, and are equivalent to
'xxxx' which we said we don't support.

1..3
-0800
The ISO8601 basic format with hours, minutes and optional seconds fields.
The format is equivalent to RFC 822 zone format (when optional seconds
field is absent). This is equivalent to the "xxxx" specifier.
4
GMT-8:00
The long localized GMT format. This is equivalent to the "OOOO" specifier.
5
-08:00
-07:52:58
The ISO8601 extended format with hours, minutes and optional seconds
fields. The ISO8601 UTC indicator "Z" is used when local time offset is 0.
This is equivalent to the "XXXXX" specifier.

We've always supported Z (as RFC 822) so we can't now drop Z 1..3.

Architect, IBM Data Format Description Language (DFDL)
smh at uk.ibm.com
tel:+44-1962-815848
----- Forwarded by Steve Hanson/UK/IBM on 17/09/2013 15:21 -----