[DFDL-WG] ambiguity - mandatory alignment for text (12.1.2)

Mike Beckerle mbeckerle.dfdl at gmail.com
Mon Sep 9 10:59:45 EDT 2013

These two paragraphs contradict each other.

When processing textual data, it is a schema definition error if the
dfdl:alignment and dfdl:alignmentUnits properties are used to specify
alignment that is not a multiple of the encoding-specified mandatory
alignment.

If the data is not aligned to the proper boundary for the encoding when
textual data is processed, then bits are skipped (parsing) or filled from
dfdl:fillByte (unparsing) to achieve the mandatory alignment.

So is it to be SDE (conservative), or just move over to the mandatory
alignment? E.g.,

<xs:sequence dfdl:encoding="utf-8" dfdl:alignment="7"
dfdl:alignmentUnits="bits" dfdl:initiator="hello">....

The alignment property says 7 bits, but the initiator is utf-8 which
requires 8 bits. So we either SDE, or we just add additional alignment bits
to align the initiator text.

subject to the OGF Intellectual Property
Policy<http://www.ogf.org/About/abt_policies.php>