[DFDL-WG] bit order - proposed new erratum - response to public comment 43, action item 234

Steve Hanson smh at uk.ibm.com
Tue Oct 8 07:44:39 EDT 2013

I thought this was as simple as reversing the order of the bits in a byte
as each byte is read/written?  If not then I have not understood what it
is doing.

Reading through, my overall comment is that most readers will struggle to
understand what this property is trying to achieve. It needs to be more
accessible.

I'm limiting my comments to the below for now, until I get my head round
what this property is doing.

"Determines the way that the positions of bits within a byte of data are
interpreted for content that occupies only part of a byte, or which spans
from part of one byte to part of another."  I was expecting this just to
say "Determines the way that the positions of bits within a byte of data
are interpreted".

The description needs to say when the property applies. It is not just
when byteOrder applies, so I think it is to all schema components (ie,
anything that can potentially have a representation in the data).

Architect, IBM Data Format Description Language (DFDL)
smh at uk.ibm.com
tel:+44-1962-815848